Giant Beans in the oven – Gigantes recipe– Greek recipes
Traditional Greek recipes from the island of Crete.
Its local name is “Yíyantes stó fúrno” which means “Giant Beans in the oven” in Greek
Local name of the dish: Yíyantes stó fúrno
Place of origin: Greek recipes, recipes from Crete
Type of course: Main dish
Type of cooking: Oven
Recipe for 6 servings
List of ingredients of Gigantes recipe :
- 1 cup EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 500gr (0.55 lb) giant beans (gìgantes)
- 2 onions
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 ripe, large tomato
- 1 medium size tomato
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3-4 drops lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
Preparation of Gigantes recipe:
- Let the beans soak in water for 8 hours.
- Boil them in a pot for 25 minutes; strain and rinse them under tap water.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and saute them in olive oil.
- Add the finely chopped celery, tomato paste (dissolved in water), spices, sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir and add 1 cup of water.
- Boil the sauce for 20 minutes approximately.
- Place the giant beans in a baking pan and pour the sauce over them.
- Garnish the beans with the tomato slices; season with a little salt and pepper and bake for 30-40 minutes at 180 C (356.00ºF).
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Our recipes are collected directly from local people or authors living in Spain, Italy and Greece.
They have shared with us their local recipes and their Mediterranean lifestyle secrets.
This Greek recipe can be also included at Mediterranean recipes, Healthy recipes, or Vegetarian recipes group.
Traditional Greek recipes
Gigantes recipe – Traditional Greek recipes
005053_v00https://www.recipes.spitella.net/giant-beans-oven-gigantes-recipe-greek-recipes/https://www.recipes.spitella.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2014/08/005053-Giant-Beans-in-the-oven-–-Greek-recipes.jpghttps://www.recipes.spitella.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2014/08/005053-Giant-Beans-in-the-oven-–-Greek-recipes-150x150.jpgFasting recipesGreek recipesHealthy RecipesMain dish recipesMediterranean recipesVegetarian recipesbean recipes,Cretan diet,Cretan recipes,fasting recipes,giant beans recipes,gigantes recipe,greek diet,greek recipes,healthy recipes,mediterranean diet,mediterranean diet recipes,recipes from Crete,traditional greek recipes,vegetarian recipesTraditional Greek recipes from the island of Crete. Its local name is “Yíyantes stó fúrno” which means “Giant Beans in the oven” in Greek Local name of the dish: Yíyantes stó fúrno Place of origin: Greek recipes, recipes from Crete Type of course: Main dish Type of cooking: Oven Recipe for 6 servings List of ingredients...admin email@example.comUserSpitella